When you are in a car or truck wreck, it is hard to think clearly. Deciding what to do next and how to proceed can be overwhelming. The list below was developed by Attorney Joe Dughman and provides step by step instructions on what to do when you have been involved in a car or truck accident.
Suggestion: Print out our check list and place it in your glove box of your car for reference.
- If you are hurt seek medical treatment immediately.
- Be sure to get the name and address of any witnesses of the vehicle collision. The police do not always obtain this information.
- Notify the police and fill out a report. Make sure the officer gives you a report number. It usually takes 5 business days for the reports to be filed and ready for review. Make note of the officer’s uniform color in case you call the wrong station. Was it Metro Nashville, the Sheriff or Tennessee State Troopers that worked your accident?
- Write a letter to the police station requesting the report. Make a copy of the letter.
- Take note of the scene of the accident and look for physical evidence of the accident such as tire marks, gouges in the pavement and take note any road signs. Take pictures to prove your observations.
- Contact your Primary Care Physician and make an appointment if you have suffered injuries and continue to get medical care per the advice of your doctor.
- Call our law office at (615) 244-3331 and we will advise you on the nature of your accident case. We can help you gather evidence and accept responsibility for your claim after you had a chance to visit our office.
No legal fees without recovery!
Joe Dughman & Associates
3817 Bedford Ave, Ste 220 Nashville, TN 37215